Failed to open descriptor file error
I have a blueprint only project that when I package as a "shipping" build and try to run the .exe located in the WindowsNoEditor it opens with a dialogue box saying:
"Failed to open descriptor file. '../../../TowerDefence-Win32-Shipping/TowerDefence-Win32-Shipping.uproject'
It happens for 32 or 64bit.
A development build runs fine, I've not had any issue with 32 or 64bit when packaging a development build. I've also tried it on multiple computers both with and without Unreal Engine, I've tried packing for distribution and that didn't work either.
Any help is appreciated.
Can you try going into the WindowsNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Win32 and run UE4Game-Win32-Shipping with TowerDefence as your command line? (or maybe ../../../TowerDefence/TowerDefence.uproject)
Make sure that works. I think there may be a problem with the bootstrap executable (the one in the root of the WindowsNoEditor dir just points to the one in Engine/Binaries/Win32)
answered Jul 24 '15 at 07:49 PM
Since I have hit this issue myself with 4.10.1 just today after uninstalling an old version of VS2013 and adding common tools + C++ to VS2015 I wanted to share my findings.
I an using the "Project Launcher" to make my deployment as detailed here... https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Deployment/Releasing/index.html
I have not modified any of the project setting build options (It's a little confusing how you have both project setting build/package options and the "Project Launcher"?)
Yesterday (Pre VS2015) I could build the "Shipping" deployment with no issues. Today (VS2015) its a no go.
I have found that the following is true. (Assume my project is called "Project" for the following)
The file "Project\Saved\StagedBuilds\WindowsNoEditor\Project.exe" creates an instance of "Project\Saved\StagedBuilds\WindowsNoEditor\Project\Binaries\Win64\Project-Win64-Shipping.exe" and this instance throws the error "Failed to open descriptor file. '../../../Project-Win32-Shipping/Project-Win32-Shipping.uproject"
After spending some time looking the UE4 source code I came to the conclusion that the "Project-Win64-Shipping.exe" that is being instanced is using its own file name to determine the project name and in turn the path to the ".uproject" file. Unfortunately since the file name of the ".exe" is not "Project.exe" it cannot find it.
I then tested this out by changing the file name from "Project-Win64-Shipping.exe" to "Project.exe" and ran it directly, bypassing the other tiny "Project.exe" file a couple of directories above. Low and behold the renamed file ran fine and did not throw the infamous "Failed to open descriptor file" error.
The only remaining issue after doing this was that the file "Project\Saved\StagedBuilds\WindowsNoEditor\Project.exe" now throws a new error about not being able to find the "Project-Win64-Shipping.exe" file since I have renamed it.
The issue does not happen with a development build since the output file is named correctly "Project\Saved\StagedBuilds\WindowsNoEditor\Project\Binaries\Win64\Project.exe" allowing the ".uproject" file to be found and the smaller "Project.exe" file to instance it.
The issue is also resolved by renaming the project folder and ".uproject" file from "Project" to "Project-Win64-Shipping" but this is very ugly and I refuse to accept this as the true solution.
I think the "UnrealBuild" tool is at fault, but I have not debugged it. https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/tree/ab9713f2c0346236b0fdd271d3304cf0991d23de/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool
Just my findings, not an answer but hopefully helps get to one.
answered Jan 05 '16 at 11:36 AM
This works for me:
Go to WindowsNoEditor\Engine\Binaries\Win64
Then "UE4Game-Win32-Shipping" or "UE4Game-Win64-Shipping" in my case, rename it to your project name, which should be the same as in /WindowsNoEditor/YourProjectName.uproject
Then launch your game from WindowsNoEditor\Engine\Binaries\Win64\YourProjectName.exe
+1 i have the same problem on win64 directory i have just a file "crashReportClient" Have you got an idea ?
answered Jan 31 '16 at 11:37 AM
Is there still no real solution for this problem? I had this problem with two different projects and couldn't find a solution at all. Sometime renaming works sometimes it does not. This does not make any sense to me at all.
answered Jun 02 '16 at 04:14 PM
Same problem here... I don't get it, that it's still not fixed.
answered Mar 02 '16 at 09:34 PM
Same problem here, and i had solve this problem
step 1. uninstall all your download plugin (in my case substance plugin is problem ) 2. open you project and build again
answered Apr 25 '16 at 08:46 AM
I have the same promblem on android I solved it: 1,install apk use the .bat 2.uninstall it use the .bat 3.play on android solved
answered Nov 07 '16 at 08:40 AM
my project was already a c++ project. rebuilding project in visual studio fixed it for me.
answered Nov 01 '18 at 03:39 PM
Follow this question
Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here