Search in
Sort by:

Question Status:

Search help

  • Simple searches use one or more words. Separate the words with spaces (cat dog) to search cat,dog or both. Separate the words with plus signs (cat +dog) to search for items that may contain cat but must contain dog.
  • You can further refine your search on the search results page, where you can search by keywords, author, topic. These can be combined with each other. Examples
    • cat dog --matches anything with cat,dog or both
    • cat +dog --searches for cat +dog where dog is a mandatory term
    • cat -dog -- searches for cat excluding any result containing dog
    • [cats] —will restrict your search to results with topic named "cats"
    • [cats] [dogs] —will restrict your search to results with both topics, "cats", and "dogs"

AnswerHub Maintenance

Background maintenance is scheduled to occur between 9 - 11am EDT on Tuesday, May 21. Site operation may be slower than normal during this time and a brief interruption in operation may be observed

If I sell my game to another company what do I owe EPIC?

If I make a game and sell all of its rights to another company for them to distribute and support in the future, what money am I required to pay to EPIC. I feel it's safe to assume they will take 5% of that sale, but what happens after that. Do the 5% fees for future sales fall to the purchaser, or am I still responsible to pay the 5% on those future profits as well? I guess another way to look at it is, Does the licensing agreement transfer to the purchaser at that time?

Product Version: UE 4.9
more ▼

asked Nov 06 '15 at 11:28 PM in Legal & Licensing

avatar image

8 2 3

(comments are locked)
10|2000 characters needed characters left

1 answer: sort voted first

The short answer is that one licensee will need to be responsible for Product royalties under the EULA. In the case you describe, you'd want to make sure that the acquirer of the game takes a UE4 license and assumes responsibility for royalties going forward. Otherwise, you owe them.

Also note that if you are truly selling the game, and providing source code along with it, the acquirer also needs to be a UE4 licensee in order to be able to receive the code.

more ▼

answered Nov 06 '15 at 11:30 PM

avatar image

atypic STAFF
7.1k 132 11 204

avatar image 13Spyderz Nov 06 '15 at 11:34 PM

So basically if they are a UE4 Licensee I would be able to transfer the license for the product in question to them and they would be responsible for all future royalties? Also am I correct in assuming that there would be a 5% royalty on the overall sale to the third party as well?

avatar image atypic STAFF Nov 06 '15 at 11:37 PM

Yes to the first question - you could basically make the acquirer responsible for the game royalties going forward. As for the second question, it doesn't fit neatly into any the stated royalty exemptions in the EULA. But I'd encourage you to reach out to Epic privately if that were to happen to discuss the particulars in more detail.

avatar image 13Spyderz Nov 06 '15 at 11:39 PM

Perfect. Thanks.

(comments are locked)
10|2000 characters needed characters left
Your answer
toggle preview:

Up to 5 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 5.2 MB each and 5.2 MB total.

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Answers to this question