x

Search in
Sort by:

Question Status:

Search help

  • Simple searches use one or more words. Separate the words with spaces (cat dog) to search cat,dog or both. Separate the words with plus signs (cat +dog) to search for items that may contain cat but must contain dog.
  • You can further refine your search on the search results page, where you can search by keywords, author, topic. These can be combined with each other. Examples
    • cat dog --matches anything with cat,dog or both
    • cat +dog --searches for cat +dog where dog is a mandatory term
    • cat -dog -- searches for cat excluding any result containing dog
    • [cats] —will restrict your search to results with topic named "cats"
    • [cats] [dogs] —will restrict your search to results with both topics, "cats", and "dogs"

GatherText deleting changes when run

We're running into a serious problem after our loc team mistaken localized some strings that are referenced in blueprints.

Normally, simply changing the strings in the Game.archive and running GatherText again would solve this issue. But as we've noticed recently, any time changes are made to the Game.archive and GatherText is run, the process somehow reverts the localized string back to it's previous iteration.

So, when I change this:

         "Source":
         {
             "Text": "Magnesium"
         },
         "Translation":
         {
             "Text": "Magnez"
         }

To this:

         "Source":
         {
             "Text": "Magnesium"
         },
         "Translation":
         {
             "Text": "Magnesium"
         }


When I run the GatherText process again my changes are wiped completely.

If unfixed, this issue will prevent us from shipping localized languages when our game goes live next week - PLEASE HELP!

For Reference - These are the steps we're following for our project:

GatherText:

  1.   Close down the editor
    
  2.  Check out the entire “../Nebraska/Content/Localization/” folder in p4v
    
  3.  Run command line, cd to C:\Nebraska directory
    
  4.  Run the GatherText command by executing the following command in its entirety:  C:\UnrealEngine-4.7.4-release\Engine\Binaries\Win64\Ue4Editor.exe C:\Nebraska\Nebraska.uproject –Run=GatherText –config=”C:\Nebraska\Config\Localization\Game.ini” –log > localization.log
    
    
  5.  You should see another window open open while the GatherText operation executes.  Watch for red text both at the beginning, and at the end.  It’ll auto close on completion. a.    GatherText will scan the entire project, not just what’s packaged up in the build.   b.    *Note* Some of the red text errors it spits out (while valid errors) aren’t anything to be concerned with since they aren’t packaged assets include in the build
    
  6.  Upon Completion, open up “C:\Nebraska\localization.log” and scroll to the bottom to make sure the operation completed successfully a.    This output near the end confirms everything worked properly: “[2015.11.11-19.35.34:471][  0]LogInit:Display: Success - 0 error(s), 488 warning(s)”
    
  7.  Run GatherText once again after all of the files come back from translation in order for them to work properly
    
    

Any help with this is greatly appreciated - Thanks in advance!

Product Version: UE 4.7
Tags:
more ▼

asked Feb 26 '16 at 08:31 PM in Bug Reports

avatar image

Bagelbeard
1 1 2

(comments are locked)
10|2000 characters needed characters left
Viewable by all users

1 answer: sort voted first

Is your gather process setup to perform an import and export to .po?

If so you're likely importing the old changes in your .po which is stomping on your manual changes to the archive. Either stop importing or just make the change in your .po file instead.


This is caused by an order of operations issue and the fact that none of the changes have timestamps so the merging process has no idea which string is newest, so it assumes you're importing the newest data.

more ▼

answered Feb 26 '16 at 08:36 PM

avatar image

Sarge STAFF
627 14 5 36

avatar image Bagelbeard Feb 26 '16 at 08:38 PM

That's correct - Thanks, Sarge... I'll give that a shot and report back!

avatar image Bagelbeard Feb 26 '16 at 11:26 PM

That worked - Thanks again for the quick reply!

All changes will now be made in the .po

(comments are locked)
10|2000 characters needed characters left
Viewable by all users
Your answer
toggle preview:

Up to 5 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 5.2 MB each and 5.2 MB total.

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Answers to this question