Search in
Sort by:

Question Status:

Search help

  • Simple searches use one or more words. Separate the words with spaces (cat dog) to search cat,dog or both. Separate the words with plus signs (cat +dog) to search for items that may contain cat but must contain dog.
  • You can further refine your search on the search results page, where you can search by keywords, author, topic. These can be combined with each other. Examples
    • cat dog --matches anything with cat,dog or both
    • cat +dog --searches for cat +dog where dog is a mandatory term
    • cat -dog -- searches for cat excluding any result containing dog
    • [cats] —will restrict your search to results with topic named "cats"
    • [cats] [dogs] —will restrict your search to results with both topics, "cats", and "dogs"

In a texture mask, what channel should be what information?

I've always been wondering and I've got several different answers. My question is quite simple and It's just what the title says.

I noticed the starter content has several different masks, such as the T_Brick_Clay_Beveled_M mask. Which channel in this texture represents what? I've heard that:

R = Roughness G = Ambient Occlusion B = Metallic

Is this true, and is this the recommended "standard" to follow? Also what is the actual name of this type of mask? I refer to them as a MRA-masks, but I can't really find anything searching for that.

Product Version: UE 4.11
more ▼

asked May 24 '16 at 01:26 PM in Rendering

avatar image

47 7 6 13

(comments are locked)
10|2000 characters needed characters left
Viewable by all users

2 answers: sort voted first

It doesnt matter which gray-scale file you put where, as long as you and the team you are working with all adhere to it.

There is no specific word for it, because it can be any kind of grayscale texture or mask. A roughness texture isnt a mask, neither is AO. Metal " could" be considered a mask.

It could also be any other black/white or grayscale texture. So you could probably call it nested/grouped/merged textures.

more ▼

answered May 24 '16 at 05:44 PM

avatar image

9.3k 286 65 332

(comments are locked)
10|2000 characters needed characters left
Viewable by all users

There is no standard. Some people create a standard of their own while some use naming conventions and others just use them willy-nilly.

If you need it to be obvious for its use (like in a team environment) then you could go with a naming convention, something long and painful to read like:

Example of naming for per channel masks: MyAwesomeDudeMask_rAO_gRough_bMetal

Example of naming for per model area masks: MyAwesomeCarMask_rMetal_gPlastic_bGlass

Really do whatever you like. As for how that specific texture was used you just have to either look at the material it is used in or suss it yourself by applying each channel and seeing how it fits. Remember, some masks are for channels while others may be for assigning to locations on a mesh.

more ▼

answered May 24 '16 at 05:48 PM

avatar image

2.6k 98 16 97

(comments are locked)
10|2000 characters needed characters left
Viewable by all users
Your answer
toggle preview:

Up to 5 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 5.2 MB each and 5.2 MB total.

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Answers to this question