Packaged project crashes after 4.13 migration
After migrating our project from 4.12.5 to 4.13 our packaged game crashes shortly (~1 second) after the player pawn is spawned and possessed. Initially I thought the migration was going very smoothly as the game works completely fine in-editor, but making a packaged version (development or debug) and running the exe causes the game to hard crash to a "Unreal Engine has stopped working" Windows error menu. Unfortunately the log files don't capture the point of failure (never flushes to disk). The only clues I have right now are:
1) that I "once" got a normal UE stack trace and crash report window that suggested it might be an issue with a UMG widget on the player pawn blueprint. However removing all UMGs and widgets from the pawn did not resolve the issue.
2) When choosing 'debug' from the "Unreal Engine has stopped working" Windows error menu it sets the execution breakpoint in a Substance plugin c++ file at a point that handles closing down the plugin on engine shutdown (Substance::Details::Engine::releaseEngine). We do make heavy use of Substance so debugging further with nothing to go on will be very difficult...
asked Sep 22 '16 at 11:29 PM in Packaging & Deployment
So narrowed it down to a Substance plugin issue. I noticed that the built package would miraculously start working after trying to start it after 5-6 crashes (the last crash being accompanied by the Unreal Crash Reporter). With that in mind I figured it was something 'being built' by the game on startup and was some sort of failing race condition. Looking at the recently modified files brought me to the \Saved\Substance directory. Between crashes more and more .cache files would be added until it finally "finished" and the build would work. By turning the Substance setting (Project Settings > Plugins > Substance) Cooking >
answered Sep 23 '16 at 02:20 AM
Follow this question
Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here