x

Search in
Sort by:

Question Status:

Search help

  • Simple searches use one or more words. Separate the words with spaces (cat dog) to search cat,dog or both. Separate the words with plus signs (cat +dog) to search for items that may contain cat but must contain dog.
  • You can further refine your search on the search results page, where you can search by keywords, author, topic. These can be combined with each other. Examples
    • cat dog --matches anything with cat,dog or both
    • cat +dog --searches for cat +dog where dog is a mandatory term
    • cat -dog -- searches for cat excluding any result containing dog
    • [cats] —will restrict your search to results with topic named "cats"
    • [cats] [dogs] —will restrict your search to results with both topics, "cats", and "dogs"

Editor no longer registers C++ code changes at all

Greetings. I'm at a total loss here. Basically what is happening is that C++ changes that are successfully compiled are no longer registering in the editor at all. This includes the PIE as well as in Blueprints.

As a simple example, I had an old function that prints a Log message upon initializing the game. Really simple:

 UE_LOG(LogTemp, Error, TEXT("Initializing World"));

As expected, this printed out the following in the Output Log:

LogTemp:Error: Initializing World

Now, I edit the code as follows:

 UE_LOG(LogTemp, Error, TEXT("Initializing World"));
 UE_LOG(LogTemp, Error, TEXT("Initializing World2"));

I compile in Visual Studio without any errors. I then open up the Unreal editor and, for good measure, hit the compile button. The editor compiles and displays the changes:

CompilerResultsLog: Info Blah.cpp <-- changed object

No errors. For good measure, I then shut down the editor and relaunch it. Upon hitting play, I would expect "Initializing World2" to print right after "Initializing World" but it does not.

In fact, any changes that I make to C++ are not reflected in the editor at all. If I add or remove member variables to C++ structures and compile, the changes never appear in Blueprints.

I initially thought that the issue might be due a difference in solutions, but both Visual Basic as well as the project settings are set to "Development." It's like the engine won't register any new C++ code at all.

This basically breaks the engine, for us. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Product Version: UE 4.15
Tags:
more ▼

asked Apr 10 '17 at 06:38 PM in C++ Programming

avatar image

irdc
116 14 16 21

(comments are locked)
10|2000 characters needed characters left

1 answer: sort voted first

Alright, solved the issue. In order to work on another bug, I deleted the files from \Binaries\Win64 which, in general, isn't a problem. BUT, I had created a folder named Test in the \Binaries\Win64 directory and copied the old files into it, as a precaution. The Editor was basically doing a recursive search through the \Binaries\Win64 directory, hit the Test folder and was using the old version of UE4Editor-[name].dll found within.

Completely clearing out the binary folder fixed the issue!

more ▼

answered Apr 10 '17 at 08:44 PM

avatar image

irdc
116 14 16 21

(comments are locked)
10|2000 characters needed characters left
Your answer
toggle preview:

Up to 5 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 5.2 MB each and 5.2 MB total.

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Answers to this question