x

Search in
Sort by:

Question Status:

Search help

  • Simple searches use one or more words. Separate the words with spaces (cat dog) to search cat,dog or both. Separate the words with plus signs (cat +dog) to search for items that may contain cat but must contain dog.
  • You can further refine your search on the search results page, where you can search by keywords, author, topic. These can be combined with each other. Examples
    • cat dog --matches anything with cat,dog or both
    • cat +dog --searches for cat +dog where dog is a mandatory term
    • cat -dog -- searches for cat excluding any result containing dog
    • [cats] —will restrict your search to results with topic named "cats"
    • [cats] [dogs] —will restrict your search to results with both topics, "cats", and "dogs"

Xcode build error: "UTF-16 (LE) byte order mark detected"

I've been working on a C++ based project for quite some time on Windows, but I wanted to see how the project runs on my Macbook.

After checking out the code, I couldn't compile through the editor so I generated Xcode project files. However, when compiling through Xcode, I am hit with the following error affecting most of the source files including the ".generated" files: "UTF-16 (LE) byte order mark detected in ... FILENAME HERE".

I attempted to change text format but this error just won't go away. Has anyone else encountered this? I get these errors even when creating a new C++ based project in the Epic Launcher. If it helps, it's the "#include" lines the errors are located.

Product Version: UE 4.15
Tags:
more ▼

asked Apr 11 '17 at 06:41 PM in C++ Programming

avatar image

jamiewhitephd
48 6 12 17

avatar image jamiewhitephd Apr 17 '17 at 06:43 PM

Still having problems with this.

avatar image jamiewhitephd Jul 14 '17 at 09:58 PM

Three months later, still having problems with this.

(comments are locked)
10|2000 characters needed characters left
Viewable by all users

2 answers: sort voted first

I've the same issue. Changing encoding in xcode 9 doesn't help. However, I got it working by converting all the generated class and header files (using sublime 3, should be the same with other text editors ) from UTF16 to UTF-8 and it works.

more ▼

answered Oct 30 '17 at 08:02 PM

avatar image

HolyBob
8 1 2 6

(comments are locked)
10|2000 characters needed characters left
Viewable by all users

I just encountered this issue in UE 4.21.0. I didn't look deep into it, but I believe the issue was caused by a non UTF-8 symbol added in my source files. In my case, the symbol which caused issues was "©" in my copyright notice and all of my source files. Most of my files contained a replacement character (�), however the ones that had errors did not for some reason. I resolved this by removing the © and � characters from all of my source files and removing the special character from my copyright template in the project settings.

more ▼

answered Dec 02 '18 at 11:29 PM

avatar image

BIRDLORD
1 2

(comments are locked)
10|2000 characters needed characters left
Viewable by all users
Your answer
toggle preview:

Up to 5 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 5.2 MB each and 5.2 MB total.

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Answers to this question