game module cannot be loaded after compile
As of last night my project worked perfectly with no issues. when I opened it up today I got an error saying 'the game module could not be loaded' or UE4editor-game.dll was compiled with another version and needs to be rebuilt, rebuilding just leading to 'the game module could not be loaded' when the project has loaded to 71% here is the log when this happens: https://pastebin.com/P2nfWAZZ
If I rebuild my projects code (while the editor is actually open) it will compile without issue but in editor nothing has changed. for example I create a C++ class of an actor and give it a UPROPERTY of I can set a Mesh. I compile and then create blueprint from C++ class and then edit and there is no UPROPERTY or anything else I added.
Occasionally the compiler will fail saying one of my class's functions are already defined in another class (I use #pragma once in every class and this code compiled successfully yesterday as is) so the linker could not link (but this happened only a few times). sometimes the compiler will say the target is up to date after making changes and building again. here is what that compile error looks like: https://pastebin.com/tYdeLCHk here is pressing rebuild after that error while changing nothing: https://pastebin.com/LhDcwGFk
I have tried deleting the saved, intermediate and binary folders and rebuilding and generate new VS files and that hasn't worked. Ive also tried all available build profiles too.
I have tried restarting my pc, upgrading to 4.17.2, downgrading back to 4.16.3, creating new projects each time and copying my code into cleanly added new c++ classes and the same issue happens. I also tried with sample C++ code and after compiling, again nothing changed in editor and again after closing the editor the project will not re-open with the error 'the game module could not be loaded'
I have checked if the folder is read only, of which some files in the project directory are. I have tried removing the read-only flag with VS and UE closed and the flag gets automatically re-set, this includes attempts with admin rights via CMD and POWERSHELL, with the same result.
I have changed permissions and owner of the entire drive the project was on.
I have tried creating the project on a different drive.
I have tried all these fixes in every conceivable combination.
Follow this question
Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here