Editor launch stuck at 72% due to a blueprint issue.
I've just been developing a training project further in order to try and fully round off the project for myself and the friends who have been kind enough to help playtest my version of the training project.
However recently I've run into an annoying snag that just doesn't seem to want to stop ruining the project for me.
This bug is extremely irregular and no amount of debugging helps me find out how to stop it. So what is the bug you ask?
When starting my project the project actually gets stuck loading at 72% and no longer consumes CPU as it has somehow got stuck.
No amount of manipulation prevents the issue entirely. After 2 days of fighting with this bug trying to get it sorted I was left with no choice but to remove UASSET files one by one to find which one is tripping the system up.
After removing the file I can load my project and then place it back to load it in and finally fix up all the references in the blueprint to get my project loaded back to a state where I can work on it.
So to recap what I've said and to add what I've already tried.
What I've tried.
Why I think it has something to do with InfiniteTerrainGameMode
Why I think it has something to do with BP_Character
The Second time this issue started to occur I removed a cast to InfiniteTerrainGameMode (To Call the update function for kills) and after restarting the editor it launched just fine. One of the edits I removed from before was trying to link BP_Tile with BP_Character as well as I was going to adjust character defaults to the local tile difficulty (A feature I removed entirely to try and fix the issue.)
So what now.
I have no idea why this is happening. I need help with figuring out how to stop this happening and I've seen several threads on the official unreal forums with this bug as well that have been ignored and unresolved but I failed to find any resolved ones.
If anyone knows I am all ears. I will dump a debug log below. Hope anyone can spot the trouble.
I know for a fact it is blueprint related as the problem is only in existence when I added this blueprint flow to my BP_Character: Get Gamemode -> Cast to InfiniteTerrainGameMode -> Call Function EnemyKilled() Without that, in my BP the whole project starts happily without the bug.
asked Feb 24 '18 at 01:51 PM in Blueprint Scripting
Looks like the problem here is casting the game mode to your custom game mode in a class that's also referenced by your game mode! This causes a circular include, which during startup causes the game mode to load the character which causes the character to load the game mode which causes the game mode to.... yeah.
So what you need to do is make a blueprint interface that your custom game mode implements and declare the functions you need to call from the game mode in the interface.
Since you need to call InfiniteTerrainGameMode->EnemyKilled() from BP_Character:
This will stop the circular include infinite loop.
answered Jul 07 '18 at 04:36 PM
Follow this question
Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here