x

Search in
Sort by:

Question Status:

Search help

  • Simple searches use one or more words. Separate the words with spaces (cat dog) to search cat,dog or both. Separate the words with plus signs (cat +dog) to search for items that may contain cat but must contain dog.
  • You can further refine your search on the search results page, where you can search by keywords, author, topic. These can be combined with each other. Examples
    • cat dog --matches anything with cat,dog or both
    • cat +dog --searches for cat +dog where dog is a mandatory term
    • cat -dog -- searches for cat excluding any result containing dog
    • [cats] —will restrict your search to results with topic named "cats"
    • [cats] [dogs] —will restrict your search to results with both topics, "cats", and "dogs"

what happened to the BuildTarget command for RunUAT?

I have been working on upgrading our engine from 4.15 to 4.19 and came across an issue with the automatic builder one of my predecessors set up. It makes use of the Unreal Automation Tools to compile, build, and package the project. After further inspection, I noticed that the BuildTarget command was removed from UAT in 4.17. I have tried simply commenting out the troublesome code but that throws errors when it makes it to the BuildCookRun cycle. The line that no longer runs is

UE4/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/RunUAT BuildTarget -TargetPlatforms=Win64 -Config=Development -project=projectfilepath -Target=Editor -precompile

with the output

ERROR: Failed to find command BuildTarget

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

Product Version: UE 4.19
Tags:
more ▼

asked Aug 28 '18 at 10:30 PM in Packaging & Deployment

avatar image

Carrac16
8 1 2

avatar image Carrac16 Sep 05 '18 at 04:10 PM

Still having trouble with this but I believe I have gotten a bit farther. I replaced the RunUAT BuildTarget call with a call to Build.bat and it seems to be compiling. The new issue I am facing is that the BuildCookRun sequence is halting when it tries to build a server .exe and spits out the following error:

libeay.lib(rand_win.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol BCryptGenRandom referenced in function RAND_poll

I am unsure if this has something to do with the new way of building the project source but I cannot find the calls referenced in the error anywhere in the code and the only thing I have to go from is that it is a Windows function. The builder is working on a Windows Server 2012R and it is trying to build in VS2015.

(comments are locked)
10|2000 characters needed characters left

1 answer: sort voted first

The old BuildTarget command was a simple wrapper for executing UnrealBuildTool, so calling Build.bat directly is the correct replacement. You can always run a package command from the editor and see the command line that was executed in the output log.

The BCryptGenRandom function was introduced in Windows Vista. We target the Windows 8.1 SDK by default. Do you have it installed?

more ▼

answered Sep 05 '18 at 05:31 PM

avatar image

Ben Marsh STAFF
778 24 9 18

avatar image Carrac16 Sep 05 '18 at 05:52 PM

We do have Windows 8.1 SDK installed as well as 7.0A, 7.1A, 8.1A, and 10.0A

avatar image Ben Marsh STAFF Sep 05 '18 at 05:55 PM

Can you build the target correctly from Visual Studio?

avatar image Carrac16 Sep 05 '18 at 07:13 PM

Yes, building from source in VS is not a problem.

avatar image Ben Marsh STAFF Sep 05 '18 at 07:14 PM

Can you include a log of building from UAT vs building the same target from Visual Studio, please?

avatar image Carrac16 Sep 06 '18 at 05:54 PM

Linked are the output logs of the Automated Builder (which fails on the BuildCookRun cycle of the server) and the building of the project in VS on a local workspace

uatoutput.txt (2.1 MB)
vsoutput.txt (552.6 kB)
avatar image Ben Marsh STAFF Sep 06 '18 at 06:20 PM

Your Visual Studio log is from building the editor, not the server target of your game (you can change this from the configuration drop-down in Visual Studio).

It sounds like you're missing a dependency on bcrypt.lib. Try adding this to your game's .build.cs file:

         PublicAdditionalLibraries.Add("bcrypt.lib");
avatar image Carrac16 Sep 06 '18 at 07:21 PM

That seemed to work in the VS build. tested with both server build and editor build. I have attached the logs to confirm.

avatar image Carrac16 Sep 06 '18 at 09:28 PM

This worked quite well and the automated builder succeeded in building the server. Thank you so much for your help!

(comments are locked)
10|2000 characters needed characters left
Your answer
toggle preview:

Up to 5 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 5.2 MB each and 5.2 MB total.

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Answers to this question