Search in
Sort by:

Question Status:

Search help

  • Simple searches use one or more words. Separate the words with spaces (cat dog) to search cat,dog or both. Separate the words with plus signs (cat +dog) to search for items that may contain cat but must contain dog.
  • You can further refine your search on the search results page, where you can search by keywords, author, topic. These can be combined with each other. Examples
    • cat dog --matches anything with cat,dog or both
    • cat +dog --searches for cat +dog where dog is a mandatory term
    • cat -dog -- searches for cat excluding any result containing dog
    • [cats] —will restrict your search to results with topic named "cats"
    • [cats] [dogs] —will restrict your search to results with both topics, "cats", and "dogs"

Enterprise or game developer license?

Hey Guys! Hope your having a good day!

I'm an architect and I want to start using UE for archviz and VR (archviz related). I know that for those purposes I don't have to pay royalties (right?). The thing is that in the near future I would like to start on game development also (I'm learning programming right know). So what you guys recommend for both purposes? enterprise or game dev license?

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work you guys do!

Cheers my friends

Jhohan C.

Product Version: UE 4.20
more ▼

asked Oct 10 '18 at 01:21 AM in Legal & Licensing

avatar image

6 1 1 1

avatar image IndieGameCove Oct 10 '18 at 06:07 AM

I think its just royalty free if your not selling downloads to anyone. For example if you have a construction company and you want to make vr versions of home designs that you sell, then you aren't selling unreal engine software you're just using it to sell other products. In that scenario it's royalty free.

however if you say built an archvis app that allows customers to build there dream home but they download it from steam and use their own hardware at home. if they had to buy the app, you would probably have to pay royalties.

I suspect epic would want you to click agree to both licenses.

just my understanding, could be wrong.

(comments are locked)
10|2000 characters needed characters left
Viewable by all users

1 answer: sort voted first

Generally speaking, if you are going to distribute your UE4 product to end users (for example through Steam, as described by IndieGameCove's comment), you will need to do so under the UE4 EULA, which includes royalties.

The Unreal Engine Studio EULA is royalty free but only allows distribution under specific circumstances.

From what I can gather from your comment, it sounds like you would have to agree to both, but this depends on your specific use case for your Archviz/VR product.

more ▼

answered Oct 10 '18 at 06:07 PM

avatar image

SonsOfKorhal STAFF
417 2 3 3

(comments are locked)
10|2000 characters needed characters left
Viewable by all users
Your answer
toggle preview:

Up to 5 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 5.2 MB each and 5.2 MB total.

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Answers to this question