Search in
Sort by:

Question Status:

Search help

  • Simple searches use one or more words. Separate the words with spaces (cat dog) to search cat,dog or both. Separate the words with plus signs (cat +dog) to search for items that may contain cat but must contain dog.
  • You can further refine your search on the search results page, where you can search by keywords, author, topic. These can be combined with each other. Examples
    • cat dog --matches anything with cat,dog or both
    • cat +dog --searches for cat +dog where dog is a mandatory term
    • cat -dog -- searches for cat excluding any result containing dog
    • [cats] —will restrict your search to results with topic named "cats"
    • [cats] [dogs] —will restrict your search to results with both topics, "cats", and "dogs"

Which licenses is best for 3D Animation?

When I tried downloading the Unreal Engine 4 software I was presented with two different licenses, a game developers license and an enterprise license. I was wondering which is better with working with 3D animations?

Product Version: Not Selected
more ▼

asked Jan 07 '19 at 07:12 PM in Legal & Licensing

avatar image

1 1 1

(comments are locked)
10|2000 characters needed characters left
Viewable by all users

1 answer: sort voted first

The main difference is way you pay for UE4

In normal EULA, UE4 editor is free and you pay royalties from revenue of your produced product, this revenue will be replaced with Epic store revenue if you plan to release product there.

In Studio licence, you pay monthly but it's revenue free, have some extra features like Data smith and Epic provides more direct support

Since you mention 3D animation it's worth mention that UE4 (atleast in normal EULA) is revenue free for video made in UE4 on linear non-interactive medium, when you not distribute engine with the product, as EULA say:

However, no royalty is owed on the following forms of revenue:


4 - Revenue from an Unrestricted Product, including for clarity, revenue from a Product which solely relies on the Licensed Technology for production of non-interactive linear media (e.g., broadcast or streamed video files, cartoons, or movies) and which is Distributed in a form that does not contain the Licensed Technology or, in order to deliver, rely on servers running the Licensed Technology;

So if this is what you want to do, normal EULA is all you need :)

more ▼

answered Jan 07 '19 at 07:24 PM

avatar image

35.9k 929 169 1105

avatar image DavidW25 Jan 13 '19 at 03:02 PM

So what your saying is that the game developers license is the normal EULA that I need to download. You also mentioned fees, is the Unreal Engine 4 really free to download?

(comments are locked)
10|2000 characters needed characters left
Viewable by all users
Your answer
toggle preview:

Up to 5 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 5.2 MB each and 5.2 MB total.

Follow this question

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

Answers to this question