Packaged game doesn't use Steam
Hello, the title says everything. After packaging the game it has no steam which leads to no overlay and the game crashing on steam calls with Fatal Error (no further description). I encounter some warnings while starting up the project for the first time and packaging it, stating that steam would be disabled, but all steam functions work flawless in standalone game. This is the most detailed version of the error occuring when i starrt packaging:
while packaging and during editor startup just the Warnings get displayed. note that it states i would be using 1.39 but i am using 1.44. i am currently completely clueless what else i could be doing to make this work again.
Everything form the documentation and wiki has been done and redone without changing anything. (except modifying WinPlatform.Automation.cs because i can't find it....)
i found some similar threads but they all had steam_appid.txt missing or no .dll in packaged build (both exist in the packaged builds i tested).
i am working in a blueprint project with c++ in case that helps determining the problem. maybe someone here can find a possible problem spot that i didn't
hoping for the best
edit: after creating a new project with same etc steam functions and testing it to confirm it works, i compared both projects visual studio sln. i can confirm that they use identical settings there.... i am completely clueless where the problem could be.
the .sln includes DefaultEngine.ini Target.cs and Build.cs from the project.
so those are eliminated error sources, as are global settings.
Nestoro, so you have a project that packages and works with steam. Now add one C++ actor at a time and see if it breaks.
I had a problem migrating a project from 4.15 to 4.21. It would not behave in 4.21. I got a simpler version of my project that did work in 4.21 and moved parts into it bit by bit until it all worked in 4.21. I never did find what the difference was. I think that sometimes an error of some kind sort of becomes embedded in the project and the only way to clear it out is to refresh by rebuilding. I cannot explain why but it seems to be true.
answered Apr 11 '19 at 12:04 AM
Nestoro, have you had a steam connection working at all? In my project (which is pure blueprint) I put this in defaultengine.ini
[OnlineSubsystemSteam] bEnabled=true SteamDevAppId=480
Then, I enable the steam subsystem under edit>plugins>online platform. Enable Online Subsystem Steam.
Package and it works( for me). In versions 4.15 or 4.21
What I would do is make sure that works (pure blueprint project) and then add a c++ class and see if it breaks. Then you know it is a C++ problem for sure. I also had the warnings about 'steam API disabled' and thought it was not going to work. But it does.
Basically, simplify and add bits gradually until it breaks. That is how I make things work.
Would be interested to hear your results.
answered Apr 10 '19 at 09:10 PM
From my understanding, Unreal is using 1.39, so maybe change to that if it's possible for you. in the release notes from 4.22, They still have Steam 1.39 as latest supported version.
answered Apr 10 '19 at 08:20 PM
Follow this question
Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here