Abandoned House

Hello.

My name is Edrei Now I am studying a master’s degree in video games and this is my new project for my school Universal Arts school

In this project I will develop a small environmental design based on an abandoned house inside a sinister forest.

this is blocking and references

2 Likes

Good Luck :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi there @rektdeath ! Welcome back to posting with us here on the forums!

Everything is looking really good on your reference board! I know when I make haunting looking environments I find a lot of inspiration from the older The Haunted Mansion film from Disney as well as Van Helsing(2004)!

However, I love the lamps and lanterns that you’ve chosen for your inspiration with this. Will there be plans for something like fences or gates in the future?

3 Likes

Hello this is my first update

Week 01

This week I started modeling the main asset (abandoned house)

(Unreal won’t let me upload more than one image to the post. In the following weeks I will be uploading the missing content.)

I also began to model the lamps that illuminate the stage in addition to working on the tombstones that go next to the angel statues.

I still have to work and polish the models.

Thank you for reading

2 Likes

Thank you so much

1 Like

hello @The_M0ss_Man thanks for commenting
I had forgotten that great movie, I could have a little inspiration from it to be able to make the environment take on that sinister aspect that I would like to give it

Yes, of course, the house will be surrounded by fences and a gate. I think it can’t be seen well on my reference board, I still have to continue researching a little more about these to be able to choose one that helps me make the environment more gloomy, these are the initial references I have to make them

1 Like

Hi there @rektdeath !

My apologies for missing that detail in the reference board. I was just a little curious if there would be fences or hedges since in the first image I couldn’t see the fence very well initially.

As always, very excited to see more progress as this scene unfolds!

1 Like

Hello this is my update for week 2

Hello this is my update for week 2
For this week I worked on the UV and the textures of the lamps that will illuminate the stage at night.

For the texture part of the lamps, it took me almost two days to achieve the rust of these

Work was also done on the tombstones that will decorate the patio that the house will have in front.

Finally, I sculpted two statues that will help me make the environment more dark.

1 Like

Don’t worry, I think it was my fault for not adequately showing the references that I will work with to develop this scene, thank you for your time.

2 Likes

Impressive work; the textures on these assets and the assets themselves are coming out perfectly! Keep up the excellent work and thank you for sharing this process with us. :grin:

1 Like

Hello everyone this is my update for week 3

This week I couldn’t work much on the project but I will show the progress with which I was able to work

I started working on the fences and the pillars that will surround the house, I was able to texture only the fences, for the pillars I managed to model the main one and the support one, in the following week I will work on the texturing of these two

Continuing with the assets that will accompany the main model, I finished sculpting a tree that will help me give a darker environment, I took 3 different references to form a model that I think is suitable for the environment

I also added some foliage to start forming the environment and see how it would look. Later I plan to model and texture the grass and trees that will accompany the scene.

Finally, I worked on the vertex painting of the landscape, I had a little trouble with this part of the work since Unreal did not allow me to paint, but I was able to properly show the texture.

Now I will show the progress and the shape the scene is taking.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your comment, continue striving to work properly on the scene.

1 Like

The pleasure is all mine, really! You’re knocking this project out of the park, in my humble opinion. The fence came out spectacular, and your tree sets the scene’s eerie/scary tone! You’re progressing through development fantastically; thanks for another wonderful update. :smile:

Hello everyone this is my update for week 5

Last week I had a problem and couldn’t update.

For this week I worked on the UVs and textures of the last assets of the stage without counting the main asset (house).

I started with the two statues that adorned the patio, at first I wanted a texture similar to stone, in the end I decided on an old and broken marble texture.

After I started working on the tree, texturing it was quite difficult since I couldn’t replicate the texture that characterizes forest trunks. I think I was able to achieve it.
I don’t really like it, I might continue working on it during the week.

Finally, I worked on the pillars that join the fences and added some moss to them so they didn’t look so simple.

To finish, I wanted to work on the foliage that would cover the assets to help me highlight the abandonment of the place.
I worked on it with pcg but I don’t really like it, possibly I do this part by hand

1 Like

Hi there @rektdeath,

Hope you’re well!

Just popping in to say this all looks spectacular. The “broken marble” texture turned out wonderfully - it looks perfect for a statue. I can’t wait to see next weeks progress! :slight_smile:

1 Like

hello
This is my week 6 update.

For this week I continued the work on the main asset, finished working on the UVs and started with the tile texturing
I’m still working on the textures of the house although I won’t modify much.

I also started using decals to help me visually improve the models within the stage, such as some breaks in the marble or the leaves in the house.

Next I used megascans foliage, I modified them a little to help me make the house look much older and abandoned.

Finally I started putting cameras to start making renders.

Hi @PresumptivePanda

Thank you very much for your comment, I am glad to know that the broken marble texture looked good on the statue.

I must say that it was very complicated for me to replicate the marble :smiling_face_with_tear: .

1 Like

I don’t doubt it, but it turned out great! :slight_smile: Also, this weeks work is solid. It feels exactly how an “abandoned house” should. Full of that spooky vibe we all love. I look forward to seeing your final product :smiley:

1 Like

hello everyone

This is my week 7 update.

We are almost done with the texturing of all the stage assets
I just need to finish polishing a few textures of the house

Changes I made to the scenario:

The roof of the house was initially just texture but it reflected well that it was made of tile so I changed it and added 3D polygons to the roof to make the material stand out.

The statues also changed a little the texture with which they had initially been made since it did not match well with the setting and the marble caused conflict in the context of the setting so I changed the texture to a smooth stone

The decals that were added last week were modified because the size was wrong and they were placed incorrectly.

Lights were also added to each lamp that was placed in place to illuminate the stage a little more. I will continue working on those lights or possibly remove them.

Finally, the shots were corrected for the final cinematic of the project.

Thank you very much for your comment

It’s been complicated but I think it’s going very well.

If you have any advice, it would be very helpful for me to hear opinions.

1 Like