Abort Legal & Licensing

We intend to develop a simple 3D scene editor based on unreal,

this editor will be used for the education industry, mainly used to create some of the 3D courseware. (similar to the PPT version of 3D)

This editor will be provided free of charge to the teacher

But we will make some of the courseware, the courseware is charged,

in this case, how do you charge?

Hi Shui,

The Unreal engine 4 EULA has certain restrictions on what you can do with Engine Code and Engine Tools.

“Engine Code” means the Source Code and object code of the Unreal® Engine, including any future Versions, as made available to you by Epic under this Agreement, and any object code compiled from that Source Code.

“Engine Tools” means (a) editors and other tools included in the Engine Code; (b) any code and modules in either the Developer or Editor folders, including in object code format, whether statically or dynamically linked; and (c) other software that may be used to develop standalone products based on the Licensed Technology.

You may only Distribute the Licensed Technology as follows:

a. Distribution to end users - You may Distribute the Licensed Technology incorporated in object code format only as an inseparable part of a Product to end users who are subject to an end user license agreement which explicitly disclaims any representations, warranties, conditions, and liabilities related to the Licensed Technology. The Product may not contain any Engine Tools or any Marketplace Content Distributed in uncooked source format.

b. Distribution to other licensees - You may Distribute Engine Code (including as modified by you under the License) in Source Code or object code format, or any Content, to an Engine Licensee who has rights under its license to the same Version of the Engine Code or Content that you are Distributing.

Any public distribution (i.e., intended for Engine Licensees generally) which includes Engine Tools must take place either through the Marketplace (e.g., for distributing a Product’s modding tool or editor to end users) or through a fork of Epic’s GitHub UnrealEngine Network (e.g., for distributing source code).

I hope this helps.
-j

Hi Truffle Muffin,

We are planning to develop a new VR software for designers, which used to create 3D models in real time. We are thinking about using some modules of the Engine Tools. I have one question:

Are we allowed to distribute this kind of software? through the marketplace or through a fork of Epic’s GitHub UnrealEngine Network?

Thanks!

If it contains Engine Tools, then your only option is to distribute through the UnrealEngine network on Github or, if it’s approved by the Marketplace Team, the Unreal Engine Marketplace.

Hi Atypic, I have another question: can I share the software(including some modules from the modified engine tools) offline to people who have their UE4 own license? Thanks a lot!

No, not unless they are your employees or contractors. You cannot share engine tools offline with your customers.

Got it, thanks so much!I wonder if there is a way to commercialize the software(including some modules from the modified engine tools)? If I distribute through the UnrealEngine Network on Github, that means I will share the software for free, right? For the MarketPlace, it seems there is no submission for software accepted yet? Sorry I have so many questions, and I just want to make sure we understand all the legal terms. Thanks again!

I’ve asked the Marketplace team about it, but I haven’t heard back yet. I know they sell plug-ins currently, so if a plug-in is an option for your technology that might be something to consider.

And generally, as to GitHub, if you could separate some integral component of your product that isn’t an engine tool, then you could sell that separately and then it could work together with the engine tools to become your complete product.

It helped greatly, thanks so much for your quick reply! I will wait for the answer from Marketplace. For the other option, is it possible to share(for free) our entire source code(including some modules from the modified engine tools) through the UnrealEngine network on Github? Thanks!

Yes, you can share what you like on the UnrealEngine GitHub network.

Great, thanks so much! Could you please let me know if I can submit the software(including some modules from the modified engine tools) to MarketPlace when you find out?Thanks again!

Sorry I have so many questions, if we uploading our entire source code(including some modules from the modified engine tools) to UnrealEngine network on Github, doesn’t this mean we share it with anyone who has UnrealEngine Github account? Thanks!!

Yes - we don’t have the capability of private forks right now.

For Marketplace, they accept plug-in submissions, but it depends on what the plug-in whether they accept it into the store.

Got it, thanks so much for clarifying.I will ask my team to try to develop a plug-in submissions.
In the meanwhile, one company asked us if we could customize/ modify the unreal engine for them. They will only be using the modified unreal engine internally, and produce visuals/VR to demonstrate their products to their potential clients. For this case, we will ask them to Epic’s website to download the code(agreeing EULA). They hire us as contractor, it is ok right? Do they also need to report the use of the modified engine tools and pay a loyalty?(They will not be generating a revenue on the visuals/VR) I just want to make sure we are understanding the EULA correctly. Thanks so so much!!

Yes, it’s ok for you to be hired as a contractor.

As for whether they need to report or pay a royalty, it depends on their usage. From what you said, there is no public-facing product or revenue from the engine use directly, so it would seem no royalty or reporting is required.

Hi Atypic! Thanks so much!! If the company wants to make a video/VR application using the revised Unreal Engine for an exhibition, I guess will be public-facing? For the video/VR for the exhibition, they should report right? Thanks again!

Yes, I think so.

Thanks so much! For this case, we are hired as a contractor to customize engine tools for this company, and they own the product other than the engine tools right? Is it okay for them to put their logo on the software interface? Thank you!

They can certainly put their logo on software they own. They own what’s not part of the engine.

But I worry the their intended usage is not allowed by the EULA.