[Android] Sidescroller Template not working on Moto X

So, I finally got our game on the android(Moto X) for testing. Unreal compiles and launches the game on my phone. Touch registers and I get print screen feedback of input. But no 3D elements show up. The world shows up all gray. I am using the side scroller example as a base. Everything works when emulating yet nothing shows up on the device. Any help would be very much appreciated.

bump…

Hello JC,

Just to make sure have you looked through all our Android support documentation?

Getting Started: Setting Up Unreal Engine Projects for Android Development | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

Launching/Packaging: Launching Unreal Engine Projects on Devices | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

Device Compatibility: Android Support for Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

Let me know if you’ve set everything up and Launch/packaged things correctly and are still having issue!

-Max B.

Read through all three doc’s. Everything was setup as suggested. However, my phone is not on the list of compatible devices. A bigger “however” though, I can “launch” the “mobile temple” on my device just fine. The “mobile temple” level shows up great. But when I try to launch the side scroller example, no 3D, just a blank warm grab background. I still get touch, and I even put a print string function that reads off the characters position. It prints just the same as when I use the “play” menu for “mobile preview”. The touch registers and the print screen also reads back my touch input. The character is moving based on the input and he is not falling through the floor… based on the position feedback through the print screen function. I even set all the settings to the same as what’s in the “mobile temple”. I’m so confused. Help please.

Unfortunately, if your device is not on the list of supported devices there’s not much we can help with. We are actively working on expanding compatibility for Android devices but currently there is no guarantee outside the current list of devices.

-Max B.

… but.

The Epic made “mobile temple” works perfectly on my device? Why would that crazy advanced world work but my simple basic BSP geo wont? Is there no insight as to why this would happen? All the math is indicating that the world exists, the collision works, the character is moving based on touch input. I just don’t see anything besides a gray screen, and the print string results.

Specs: One material with no texture on all surfaces. Sun and sky with static lighting. Blue man character. Everything is made out of bsp geo. I set all my project settings to the same as the “mobile temple” example.

Thank you for letting us know about the mobile project. It possible for the mobile template to work on unsupported Android devices but that does not mean that we’ve tested to make sure they’re working correctly on those devices. At the present time we’re only set up to provide full support for those listed devices. Until we’re fully setup additional android devices, the most I can do is point you to the documentation.

There is still the potential for other users or developers to provide you with help on their own time but that can’t be guaranteed.

-Max B.

Actually, I apologize. The GPU on my phone is the Adreno 320. So it is compatible with basic lighting. Probably why the “mobile temple” example works. But I still don’t quite understand why it doesn’t work with my game. I’ve even tested a new project with nothing added and set up everything for basic lighting as described in the documentation you sent. Still, everything is flat gray.

I deleted the sky and sun. This removed the sky dome. Then I added a light and turned the world setting ambient light down to zero. When it compiles and launches on the phone, all the geometry is flat gray. There is absolutely no lighting and no objects are distinguishable from the other. The only reason why I know the geo exists is because when I rotate the camera, the edge of the floor plane is gray against the black void of the nothing (What used to be a kaleidoscope effect when no geo was present in previous iterations of Unreal). The void of empty space confirmed the geo is there. Just no visibility. There has to be a check box somewhere that fixes this. Anything?

The Adreno 320 chipset does not guarantee that all devices using it will work with it. That said, perhaps this is a user issue that we may be able to fix. What type of light are you using and what is the mobility setting set to? Also, does this happen in a fresh new map? It’s possible you changed or deleted something that was needed.

-Max B.

It happens in any map and any other project that is not the “mobile temple”. I’ve tried all combinations given in the documentation listed. Below are three images, one from the side scroller, one is a blank project with a minimal approach (as if the first wasn’t minimal enough lol). Then the mobile temple example you guys gave out with everything and the kitchen sink turned on… and it still works. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Let me know if you need anything else to help get this fixed. Thanks for your help.

Please read the comment above the last three posts with images. I wasn’t able to attach the images to one comment so I had to break them up. Thanks.

hi, i have the same behavior on my nexux 5. Did you find any solution?

Changing all abjects to movable shows textures. Is there any problem with lightning?

Interesting. I didn’t notice the “movable” flag on all the assets in the “mobile temple” demo epic provided. I guess that is why it sows up on my phone. I will be testing this on my smaller tests tomorrow to confirm your observation. Aside from that, I am not sure what’s going on. I am assuming they have a lighting problem as you suggest. If you find anything else please let us know. I will do the same.

Looks like setting my meshes to movable didn’t work. I think I’ve tried every conceivable combination of check boxes and drop downs imaginable… except the right one. Can you give me a screenshot of only the changed settings within your meshes, lights, world and project settings? I consider myself a pretty patient guy but… If the mobile temple example didn’t work I would just give up on it but it works fine on the Moto X.

Upgrading my project to the latest version of UE4 fixed the mobile display issue. Now works on my android Moto X.