[bug] VS 2012 Express and Rocket

Im having some real issues getting this to work, even in the most simplest cases things keep breaking. Im wondering if theres any way I can compile my c++ on the commandline without any of the integration?

Basically what is happening is that when I close visual studio after creating classes in my project (which is just acouple of enums in namespaces, outside of classes) everything breaks. Upon starting VS again my code has red lines from intellisense and my “generated.h” is no where to be found so Im getting errors all over for code that should actually work just fine.

I tried creating another class in hopes that opening VS that way (since the button in rocket is broken) it might help but it doesnt let me and tells me the class cannot be created.

This is the second time Ive recreated acouple of simple classes extending object and gameinfo with nothing more than enums in the headers and the second time its broken in the exact same way. Im lost as to what Im doing wrong because Im really not going out of my way to break anything.

Okay so I got this working after a fresh install, it was probably just down to my haste and misunderstanding the instructions.

Dear Daniel,

Did you turn off all the extra compile errors which are not really relevant using these instructions:

(there’s a LOT if you dont do this and they all mean nothing, dont let them scare u)

https://rocket.unrealengine.com/docs/ue4/INT/GettingStarted/Programming/VisualStudioSetup/index.html

specifically, a very funny step number 1 to relieve all your worries

Turn off the Error List window. If enabled, the Error List window pops up automatically when you get a legitimate error in your code. However, when working with Unreal Engine, the Error List can display erroneous error information. It is best to disable this window and use the Output window to see your code errors instead. This window will only show your real errors. To disable the Error List window:

Step 1. Close the Error List window if it is open <— hee hee!

-From the Tools menu, open the Options dialog

-Select Projects and Solutions and uncheck Always show error list if build finishes with error

Translation of the above:

ALL THE ERRORS MEAN NOTHING PROCEED
HAPPILY :slight_smile:

Also:

Did you change your project to Development?

I explain this here with pictures:

Rocket forum link
My C++ for UE4 Thread

:slight_smile:

Rama

Why am I using VS if it doesnt work anyway? I mean if its producing errors that I dont need to see. Compiling the C++ is significantly slower because of the overhead of VS and intellisense (I dont use). I much prefer CodeLite.

I’ll check out what you suggested Nathan and see if I have any success, thanks.

Okay so Im still having issues. I decided to try something, I created a blank project and added 1 class file to it and tried compiling. To my surprise I recieve an error.

1>------ Skipped Build: Project: Castor (Castor\Castor), Configuration: BuiltWithUnrealBuildTool Win32 ------
1>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration 
2>------ Build started: Project: Castor (Build and Run\Castor), Configuration: Debug x64 ------
3>------ Build started: Project: CastorEditor, Configuration: Debug x64 ------
4>------ Build started: Project: CastorUncooked, Configuration: Debug x64 ------
3>  Parsing headers for CastorEditor
3>  Code generation finished for CastorEditor and took 1.373
3>  rc.exe PCLaunch.rc
3>  Module.Castor.cpp
3>  link.exe RocketEditor-Castor-Win64-Debug.dll
3>     Creating library C:\Users\00zX\Documents\Rocket Projects\Castor\Intermediate/BuildData/Castor\Win64\DebugGame\RocketEditor-Castor-Win64-Debug.lib and object C:\Users\00zX\Documents\Rocket Projects\Castor\Intermediate/BuildData/Castor\Win64\DebugGame\RocketEditor-Castor-Win64-Debug.exp
3>  -------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
3>  Cumulative action seconds (4 processors): 0.00 building projects, 13.73 compiling, 0.00 creating app bundles, 0.00 generating debug info, 0.38 linking, 0.00 other
3>  UBT execution time: 18.90 seconds
2>  Parsing headers for Castor
2>  Code generation finished for Castor and took 1.377
2>  Module.Castor.cpp
2>  link.exe Castor-Win64-Debug.exe
2>  RocketLib.lib(framing.obj) : MSIL .netmodule or module compiled with /GL found; restarting link with /LTCG; add /LTCG to the link command line to improve linker performance
2>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'atls.lib'
2>  -------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
2>ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: C:\Users\00zX\Documents\Rocket Projects\Castor\Binaries\Win64\Castor-Win64-Debug.exe
2>  Cumulative action seconds (4 processors): 0.00 building projects, 12.04 compiling, 0.00 creating app bundles, 0.00 generating debug info, 2.47 linking, 0.00 other
2>  UBT execution time: 19.69 seconds
2>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V110\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: The command ""C:\Program Files\Rocket\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe" Castor Win64 Debug "C:\Users\00zX\Documents\Rocket Projects\Castor\Castor.uproject" -rocket" exited with code 1.
4>  Parsing headers for CastorUncooked
4>  Code generation finished for CastorUncooked and took 1.373
4>  rc.exe PCLaunch.rc
4>  Module.Castor.cpp
4>  link.exe RocketEditor-Castor-Win64-Debug.dll
4>     Creating library C:\Users\00zX\Documents\Rocket Projects\Castor\Intermediate/BuildData/Castor\Win64\DebugGame\RocketEditor-Castor-Win64-Debug.lib and object C:\Users\00zX\Documents\Rocket Projects\Castor\Intermediate/BuildData/Castor\Win64\DebugGame\RocketEditor-Castor-Win64-Debug.exp
4>  -------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
4>  Cumulative action seconds (4 processors): 0.00 building projects, 13.77 compiling, 0.00 creating app bundles, 0.00 generating debug info, 0.40 linking, 0.00 other
4>  UBT execution time: 18.89 seconds
========== Build: 2 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 1 skipped ==========1>------ Skipped Build: Project: Castor (Castor\Castor), Configuration: BuiltWithUnrealBuildTool Win32 ------
2>------ Build started: Project: Castor (Build and Run\Castor), Configuration: Debug x64 ------
3>------ Build started: Project: CastorEditor, Configuration: Debug x64 ------
4>------ Build started: Project: CastorUncooked, Configuration: Debug x64 ------
3>  Code generation finished for CastorEditor and took 1.373
3>  rc.exe PCLaunch.rc
3>  Module.Castor.cpp
3>  link.exe RocketEditor-Castor-Win64-Debug.dll
3>     Creating library C:\Users\00zX\Documents\Rocket Projects\Castor\Intermediate/BuildData/Castor\Win64\DebugGame\RocketEditor-Castor-Win64-Debug.lib and object C:\Users\00zX\Documents\Rocket Projects\Castor\Intermediate/BuildData/Castor\Win64\DebugGame\RocketEditor-Castor-Win64-Debug.exp
3>  -------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
3>  Cumulative action seconds (4 processors): 0.00 building projects, 13.73 compiling, 0.00 creating app bundles, 0.00 generating debug info, 0.38 linking, 0.00 other
3>  UBT execution time: 18.90 seconds
2>  Code generation finished for Castor and took 1.377
2>  Module.Castor.cpp
2>  link.exe Castor-Win64-Debug.exe
2>  RocketLib.lib(framing.obj) : MSIL .netmodule or module compiled with /GL found; restarting link with /LTCG; add /LTCG to the link command line to improve linker performance
2>  -------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
2>ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: C:\Users\00zX\Documents\Rocket Projects\Castor\Binaries\Win64\Castor-Win64-Debug.exe
2>  Cumulative action seconds (4 processors): 0.00 building projects, 12.04 compiling, 0.00 creating app bundles, 0.00 generating debug info, 2.47 linking, 0.00 other
2>  UBT execution time: 19.69 seconds
2>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V110\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: The command ""C:\Program Files\Rocket\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe" Castor Win64 Debug "C:\Users\00zX\Documents\Rocket Projects\Castor\Castor.uproject" -rocket" exited with code 1.
4>  Code generation finished for CastorUncooked and took 1.373
4>  rc.exe PCLaunch.rc
4>  Module.Castor.cpp
4>  link.exe RocketEditor-Castor-Win64-Debug.dll
4>     Creating library C:\Users\00zX\Documents\Rocket Projects\Castor\Intermediate/BuildData/Castor\Win64\DebugGame\RocketEditor-Castor-Win64-Debug.lib and object C:\Users\00zX\Documents\Rocket Projects\Castor\Intermediate/BuildData/Castor\Win64\DebugGame\RocketEditor-Castor-Win64-Debug.exp
4>  -------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
4>  Cumulative action seconds (4 processors): 0.00 building projects, 13.77 compiling, 0.00 creating app bundles, 0.00 generating debug info, 0.40 linking, 0.00 other
4>  UBT execution time: 18.89 seconds
========== Build: 2 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 1 skipped ==========

And development build…

1>------ Skipped Build: Project: Castor (Castor\Castor), Configuration: BuiltWithUnrealBuildTool Win32 ------
    2>------ Build started: Project: Castor (Build and Run\Castor), Configuration: Development x64 ------
    3>------ Build started: Project: CastorEditor, Configuration: Development x64 ------
    4>------ Build started: Project: CastorUncooked, Configuration: Development x64 ------
    3>  Code generation finished for CastorEditor and took 9.176
    3>  Module.Castor.cpp
    3>  link.exe RocketEditor-Castor.dll
    3>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\Users\00zX\Documents\Rocket Projects\Castor\Binaries\Win64\RocketEditor-Castor.dll'
    3>ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: C:\Users\00zX\Documents\Rocket Projects\Castor\Binaries\Win64\RocketEditor-Castor.pdb
    3>  Cumulative action seconds (4 processors): 0.00 building projects, 23.23 compiling, 0.00 creating app bundles, 0.00 generating debug info, 0.15 linking, 0.00 other
    3>  UBT execution time: 37.65 seconds
    3>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V110\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: The command ""C:\Program Files\Rocket\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe" CastorEditor Win64 Development "C:\Users\00zX\Documents\Rocket Projects\Castor\Castor.uproject" -rocket" exited with code 1.
    4>  Code generation finished for CastorUncooked and took 1.287
    4>  link.exe RocketEditor-Castor.dll
    4>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\Users\00zX\Documents\Rocket Projects\Castor\Binaries\Win64\RocketEditor-Castor.dll'
    4>ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: C:\Users\00zX\Documents\Rocket Projects\Castor\Binaries\Win64\RocketEditor-Castor.pdb
    4>  Cumulative action seconds (4 processors): 0.00 building projects, 0.00 compiling, 0.00 creating app bundles, 0.00 generating debug info, 0.20 linking, 0.00 other
    4>  UBT execution time: 5.49 seconds
    4>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V110\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: The command ""C:\Program Files\Rocket\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe" CastorUncooked Win64 Development "C:\Users\00zX\Documents\Rocket Projects\Castor\Castor.uproject" -rocket" exited with code 1.
    2>  Code generation finished for Castor and took 1.689
    2>  Module.Castor.cpp
    2>  link.exe Castor.exe
    2>ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: C:\Users\00zX\Documents\Rocket Projects\Castor\Binaries\Win64\Castor.exe
    2>  Cumulative action seconds (4 processors): 0.00 building projects, 11.57 compiling, 0.00 creating app bundles, 0.00 generating debug info, 8.58 linking, 0.00 other
    2>  UBT execution time: 25.41 seconds
    2>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V110\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: The command ""C:\Program Files\Rocket\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe" Castor Win64 Development "C:\Users\00zX\Documents\Rocket Projects\Castor\Castor.uproject" -rocket" exited with code 1.
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 3 failed, 0 up-to-date, 1 skipped ==========

Hey Daniel! For now, please don’t use the “Build Solution” feature when compiling your project. Instead, only compile the editor version of your game project directly (Right click on it, and select Build.) The non-editor builds are not yet supported or working in the currently available Rocket release and will be supported in a future version.

–Mike

If you’d like a picture of what Mike means, please check out my main C++ thread, and unhide the first spoiler at end of first post:

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/972861-TUTORIALS-C-for-UE4-gt-gt-New-Complete-Code-Custom-Screenshot-Save-System-For-You

Let us know how it goes!

I did see this but Im sorry I find your tutorials hard to follow. I can see the picture now I have it along side what Mike is saying but this should be like very clear in big letters not to use the build button thats the proper way of doing things in VS. Maybe I just rushed through it because I thought I knew how to use VS.

VS is broken beyond repair atm, I made the mistake of trying to uninstall Express to install Ultimate and now my system is definitely in need of a new Windows since I cant install either.

I should be able to get things going in a few hours, thanks for your help guys. I’ll let you know if I have any issues. Im looking forward to new build where I can do things “the Microsoft way”.