Camera Going through Walls on Pitch Rotation

Hello! I am trying to figure out why my camera is going through the walls when I am rotating it on the Y axis (pitch). See attached video

I am attaching my character components:

Note: My pitch becomes disabled when I disable “Use Pawn Control Rotation” on my Spring Arm (it is the only parameter (pitch yaw roll) that becomes disabled. My “Get Actor Rotation” Node does not output pitch, and only Spring Arm → “Get Target Location” does. It is 0 to 90 above eye level, and then from 360 down to 270 below eye level.

How could I fix the rotation glitch wherein the location of the camera trajectory changes drastically (as in changes location) upon rotating my view to the top, and will even go through objects?
Thank you very much!

Hey @flyingmonkey398! Welcome to the forums!

So the thing here is definitely based on the Spring Arm-

Is your project first person or third? The components list is confusing on that front since I don’t see a mesh but you have one.

If it’s first person, the Spring Arm may need to be shortened by a lot. It probably needs to be inside of the player’s collision, because what’s happening is it has some distance between the player and the camera and it’s rotating based on where the base of the Spring Arm is.

I’m assuming rotating it left and right still makes it collide with the walls?

Also check the location of the camera vs the spring arm. The camera’s relative location should be 0,0,0, or you will definitely get clipping issues! :slight_smile:

Thank you! It was indeed the relative location of the camera! Zeroed it out and instead moved my spring arm and issue fixed!

1 Like