Cannot Package Assertion Failed Map.h Line 520

I’m trying to package my project for win 64 and although I can build it perfectly fine with no errors, I cannot get the package to become successful. There are warnings throughout the package process, but nothing that seems like a show stopper except for the one critical error that pops up;

Assertion failed: Pair != nullptr [File:D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++UE4+Release-4.11\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers\Map.h] [Line: 520].

This pops up right before the cook failure message. I’m not sure what it means or how to combat it to get a clean package. Any help would be huge for me on this. I’m using 4.11. I tried taking my project into 4.12 but the substance plugin isn’t compatible with it yet and doing that would require me to shut off substance.

Here is a gyazo of the end of the cook process where the critical error pops up.

Any help at all would be great. Thanks!

link text

Howdy Hi ,

There is also another failure right before the Map.h assertion

FX_Meshsh.UI.SW_SelectionMesh01 Could not be resolved.

It’s coming up as a warning only, yet, you could be looking at a possible cascade, where one part of the build process thinks i’ts a warning, and another (map.h), takes a more drastic view of it.

I think I would want to know what was going on there, before proceeding to debug the critical error. It might be faster.

Inc.

I definitely appreciate the reply, but I cannot find anything that might be causing that when concerning effects. I can’t find the “FX_Meshsh.UI.SW_SelectionMesh01” asset to begin with…

Nor could I find anything, searched the engine tree, and nada.

Have you tried 4.10, to see if it is something isolated to 4.11?

I would try it, but is it smart to downgrade to 4.10 from 4.11? Would that potentially cause more issues? I’ll just make a copy and try it anyways haha. I’ll let you know of the results. Thanks again!

Yeah the engine won’t let me open up the 4.11 file in 4.10. I’m still getting the map.h critical error though the last time I tried packaging I did not get the FX error that you mentioned. I deleted some unused assets that I felt could have been causing that problem and the problem didn’t show up on the build. Any other help?

I just went ahead and migrated to 4.12 and the game runs fine in-engine (same as 4.11), But I’m still getting the one critical error:

Assertion failed: Pair != nullptr [File:D:\Build++UE4+Release-4.12+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers\Map.h] [Line: 520]

I still can’t find anything that refers to this error and what may be the cause of it.

One of the things that I do when i’m bored of working in a blueprint, lol. Is to click on Edit, and then click on “Delete unused variables”. Which it will not catch all of them (namely local variables), it will clean up the blueprint a lot.

Wow…So after a relentless amount of time searching for what was causing that critical error, I discovered the problem. In my ‘myHUD’ blueprint, I had created a variable a very long time ago that was of type ‘LevelBlueprintEditorOverview’. It was default to ‘none’ and was quite literally sitting there in my variables list doing nothing. I was not calling it for anything nor was it even sitting in my blueprint table doing nothing. It was just sitting in the variables list. I was just experimenting with things a while back and had it created but just never deleted it. The very moment I deleted this variable, my game cooked and packaged successfully. I was debugging in 4.12 when I originally discovered this culprit. I can verify that it also popped the same critical error in 4.11 as I applied the same fix in 4.11 as well. I don’t know if this is intended behavior or if this is some sort of bug, but if a staff member or someone more experienced than me can shed light on this, than I would really appreciate that. Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the tip! Another useful thing for me to add to my practices. For this particular instance, I had no clue that variable was even there (used or unused). It completely slipped my mind that I even made it.

I tried doing this, and sure enough there were a few unused variables. I deleted them, but now, when I click compile, the editor dumps out to windows and vanishes. It doesn’t even do a crash report, it just disappears. This is not the solution for everyone.

That’s strange that your editor crashes in the way you described after clearing out unused variables. I admit, I still have unused variables in some of my blueprints that I need to go clean up, but it wasn’t until I tried cooking the game over and over while removing blueprint after blueprint to get to a point where it no longer gave me the assertion failed error where I discovered the error was coming from my ‘myHUD’ blueprint. And after investigating that particular blueprint, nothing looked out of the norm except that one particular variable of type ‘LevelBlueprintEditorOverview’. I deleted it and the game cooked and packaged just fine in both 4.11 and 4.12. I can’t speak to this error coming from standard unused variables, but I do know that my issue was no longer an issue the very moment I deleted that unused and empty variable of that particular type. I do wish some clarity could be had on the issue from someone more experienced than myself.