Can't import .fbx animations correctly

Hey,

When trying to import an fbx animations with IK handles from Maya, I can’t get the animation to work. When I select the option for animation it says there is no skeletal mesh. When I try to import as skeletal mesh, it crashes.

We have tried this: FBX Animation Pipeline in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

The animator delivers the .fbx files to me. He uses Maya 2015 student version. Setting the file as fbx 2013 also doesn’t work. Maybe there are some settings he has to edit or I am doing things wrong at my end. I don’t know what to try anymore to get it to work and I am looking for options to get our working animations in the project.

Hi Marwain,

One thing [he] can try from Maya is selecting all joints and mesh but not the IK handlers. Then follow the instructions on the link you posted above very carefully. Note: You can only import one animation at a time. With the fbx saved following those instructions when you go to import as a skeletal mesh it should not crash. Be sure you are importing with the following selections:

If this does not work you can post the Maya file in a zip file and I’ll be able to troubleshoot it a little better.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. We found a solution by baking the IK animation to the joints and then export it in the way described in the link.

Thanks for sharing your solution.