[FEATUE] Dynamic Point Light Clipping Parameters

Is it possible that you could add parameters to clamp the range of a dynamic point light ? Here I think Positive XYZ, an Negative XYZ parameters would allow us to control the explicit range of a light. It’s a way to effectively constrain a light to a bounding box parameter and control light leaking.

Also, having a Local vs. World orientation for the “bounding box” would be especially helpful as well.

I would not want to animate this parameter, necessarily. I’d use another workflow for that.

Hi David,

We have some feature requests that are similar to this. We have requests for light volumes and light isolation volumes. Would editable light volumes be able to do what you are trying to achieve?

-Alexander

Absolutely !

In fact, they would be preferable and elegant, from a solutions-perspective.

Thanks so much for helping to address this, Alexander.

What’s the status on light volumes? Is there an ETA for this feature?

I’m having trouble with stationary lights that are near each other but which cannot interact because of intervening walls, like this:

Because their attenuation radii overlap, I hit the max-of-4-overlapping-stationary-lights limit over and over again. I’m pretty sure light bounding volumes would help enormously here.

In addition, light bounding volumes would make it possible to prevent light leakage on cheap non-shadowing “bounce” and “fill” stationary lights.

Hello,

This is a question from the beta version of the engine. We are marking this answered for tracking purposes. If you are experiencing an issue similar to this please post a new question.

Thank you.