Gear vs Oculus

Hi!

I have been preparing a project for the Oculus for a few months and everything is working great, the only problem is a client I’m working for isn’t happy with the resolution of the Oculus and wants to move the project to something with a higher resolution ie: the Samsung gear.

I have a question relating to how the gear interacts with unreal engine. Can unreal use the hardware of the gear in the same way Oculus does? Can it essentially output from the PC hardware using the phones resolution? or does it rely on the mobile graphics of the Samsung phone? The project I’m working on isn’t optimised for mobile at all, I dont think it would export for mobile, It’s purely a PC hardware project. I know the gear uses mainly mobile, but can it work in the same way Oculus does?

I appreciate the help!

Gear vs Rift Info about perceived resolution differences.

In terms of development, many differences as well. GearVR is using a mobile device, so you’ll need to rethink optimization for your project. You’ll basically be building for mobile, but with VR in mind. Draw calls, shaders, lighting, will all be limited to the same constraints on a typical mobile project, but remember it’s being rendered twice now making things a little more challenging. It’s still relatively easy to deploy to each device, but you’ll have to go through the android SDK stuff to enable development on your VR mobile device.