Having "r.rhicmdbypass=0" in DefaultEngine.ini prevents lighting being built

Took a bit to track this value down, but in both of my projects when the following line

r.RHICmdBypass=0

was in the DefaultEngine.ini, clicking on build lighting would result in an instant crash with no crash report ever appearing. Using engine 4.7.3, haven’t tried with other versions.

Hello kaitou,

I have attempted to reproduce the issue you are reporting, but with no success. I added the line you provided to the Default.ini of my test project, and was able to build lighting with no issues.

Is your project Blueprint based or Code based?

If you have some reproducible steps which I can apply to a blank project that would help with the bug reporting process. You did mention this crash does not generate a crash report so the only way to track this would be to have a project where this occurs.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if you have further comments regarding this issue.

Thank you,

Hi Andrew,

I can try, but as it did fix the problem, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to figure out what else could’ve contributed.

Both projects are C++ ones, one that I’ve been working on since 4.1 and upgrading each time, the other where I transferred parts of the existing level into a new 4.7 C++ project, and both had the same instant crash with no report log when attempting to build lighting. So it might be a combination with something in the level already, but I am not sure what it could be.

Willing to try and help figure this one out, but my goal was definitely just to fix it first.

Best,

• Igor

Hey kaitou,

Well I am glad you got a fix working. From the sound of things, it seems this issue could be a combination of upgrading from 4.1 as well as adding to/from different projects in conjunction with C++

Either way, if you are able to reproduce this issue in a blank project and provide me with some steps to do so as well, we can try and get a fix for this issue.

Cheers,