How to get a ramp to work

I made a new project with the 2D side scroller template and set up my platforms, so my guy runs around just fine. I made a triangular inclined plane/ramp which I wanted to place on one of the platforms so he could just rump up it. Problem is, he stops when he hits the ramp as if it were a brick wall. The collision shape is set to be triangular, and I can jump on top of the ramp and he’ll slide down, but he can’t just walk up it. The player is using a capsule for collision detection. Am I not setting something properly, or am I just doing it wrong?

Hi,

I just made a simple ramp in 3Ds Max and imported then applied a auto convex collision to generate a collision that adheres closer to the models shape. I was not able to replicate an issue with the side scroller template with all the default settings.

Below is an image of my collision I’ve created. Can you post a screen shot of how yours is setup?

Thanks!

Tim

Sorry it took a while, it wouldn’t let me post for some reason. Anyway, I am using Paper2D (but still using the default 3d physics settings) and my platform and ramp are just sprites. Attached are pics of their geometry as well as how I have them aligned with each other.

oops here’s the 3rd pic

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

You can adjust the angles that characters are able to walk on by going into the MyCharacter blueprint. Under the components tab make sure that CharacterMovement is selected. Then find where it says “Walkable Floor Angle.”

The default is 44.76 degrees. The angle you’re trying to walk up is 45. By simply adjusting this to 45 degrees you’re character will walk up it with no issue!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask! :slight_smile:

Tim

1 Like