Is it possible to change Lightmap resolution for many objects within one imported FBX file

Hi…
Is there a quick method to change the Lightmap resolution for an entire imported FBX file (containing more than one object)
instead of doing that for each object separately…!!?
Best Regards

Hi again

Since After 3 days; there was no any comment OR an answer…
I’ll tell the story with other words…

Inside UE4; I had imported a fbx file from (3ds max 2013) containing 60 unique objects (static meshes);;;

While trying to build lighting; I discovered that most of the models have invalid lightmap settings…

To fix this inside UE4, I found an advice to generate a new UV set in (UV Channel 1)… but this still not enough…

At last I found myself obliged (forced) to adjust the (light map resolution) for each (static mesh) manually (as shown in the attached image)… I had found 2 options:

1. Increasing; through the (Content Browser) >> Static Mesh Settings
    OR

2. Overriding; through the object (Details) >> Lighting

Choosing any of the methods would be painful; especially for 60 mesh.

My questions are:

1. Is the (Light Map Resolution Value =32) in the Static Mesh Settings can be considered as a Default value for any imported mesh?

2. If the answer would be (YES), so where can I go to be able to have the control on it… to help me save time.

3. In case the answer would be (NO); then how may I adjust (incease or reduce) the (Light Map Resolution) for the entire imported FBX file (with multiple meshes) instead of going through each one of them manually.

Best Regards

Hi Cadviz,

1. Is the (Light Map Resolution Value
    =32) in the Static Mesh Settings can be considered as a Default value for
    any imported mesh?

The default value for each mesh is 32.

1. If the answer would be (YES), so
    where can I go to be able to have the
    control on it… to help me save time.

In your image above in the Mesh viewer/editor you can change it to a power of two (32, 64,128, 256, 512, …) for it to be the lightmap resolution for that mesh.

Using the details panel will only set it for that particular instance of the mesh in your game world.

1. In case the answer would be (NO);
    then how may I adjust (incease or
    reduce) the (Light Map Resolution) for
    the entire imported FBX file (with
    multiple meshes) instead of going
    through each one of them manually.

There is no way to set the lightmap resolution for your FBX. The default will always be 32 for your mesh import. You will need to either adjust it in the mesh viewer/editor or the details panel. The viewer will be the default for that model where as the details panel will only affect the instance you created.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Tim

Hi Tim;

Many thanks for your time and Help.

Unfortunately; I feel disappointed about the value 32, cause I shall have to increase it manually for all meshes one by one

But still have some hope that in the near future Epic will make the (Light Map Resolution value) for the imported FBX editable…

Thanks again

I think you can do that now for multiple meshes. I could do it with unreal 4.7

Hi Yahiya;
Thanks for your interest…

I’ll check it as soon as I got some time…

If you have any link showing that in detail… It would be much much appreciated…

Hello,

You select as many as meshes you want
then from “details” tab go to the lightning section as you mentioned before and override the value! thanks

http://i.imgur.com/v00rsOU.jpg?1

Hello;

In fact; I was able to do what you are talking about… even with Unreal Engine 4.3.3

I thought Epic had create a new option " to have a control on the light map resolution" in the import process…

Thanks for your time

hope for that too :slight_smile: thank you