Missing/Transparent faces on mesh

I modeled a rowboat in 3ds Max. For some reason I can’t explain, a few of the faces/part of a face are missing/transparent. I don’t think it is a problem with 3ds max because nothing is showing up on the model or when I import it into blender. All help is appreciated.

Hey adamb5044 -

This looks like an issue of reversed face normals on your model. Go into Max and click on one of the faces that is rendering as open in UE4 and flip it in your Surface Editable Poly Menu. Reimport and it should now render correctly.

Let me know if you still having problems -

Eric Ketchum

Its odd but in the model the faces are pointing the right way. Still no change in the model: Missing faces 2 - Album on Imgur

Did you actually try to flip that triangle? The reason that I ask is that Max will render a polygon whatever direction the normal faces but UE4 will only render the direction of the normal.

If that doesn’t fix it do you have a overlapping vertex? Try to select your verts and weld with a 0.01 threshold.

Thank you and let me know -

Eric Ketchum

Sorry sir, I am new to 3ds Max. I stitched together a few vertices. I have selected two polygons that have transparent/missing faces and under the edit polygons section I have clicked on flip. Their have not been any changes when I import the model into unreal engine. Also, I am using quads yet one of the missing faces is a triangle. Here are the fbx files. If you can, take a look at them and see what I did wrong.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-712fth4hnzektPdk91QVZzNHc/edit

Hey adamb5044 -

No worries we all start somewhere. Go into Max and Select all vertices on your boat (CTRL-A in Vert Mode) then click on the Advanced options of the Weld function (little box next to Weld) You should know see the options for weld in the Modeling viewport. If you look the 700ish verts will go down to 600ish verts after the weld, do this and we import all holes fixed.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

You are magnificent. Thank you and have a good day.