Non-hacky solution for HUD rendering only once when using the Oculus Rift?

Hello guys,

My HUD renders only once, on the left eye, when I’m using the Rift. The solutions I found all suggest disabling the HUD and rendering it in a plane in front of the player. Does anyone have a better idea to solve this issue?

Hi Beheks,

Fixing the HUD directly to your character’s camera, like you usually do in a game, is not recommended on the Rift. It can cause severe VR sickness and is quite immersion breaking.

There’s a whole subforum on the OVR Dev forums dedicated to this topic - it’s quite a good read when making your interface - OK | Oculus

Personally, I’d try for something like an on-mesh display instead. Say something like an FPS shooter where you have a gun - you could potentially render the amount of ammo remaining or number of explosives/pickups/healthkits etc you have onto the actual gun. Tribes Ascend does this rather well, in my opinion.

If you truly need a full-blown HUD with health, ammo, minimap and the like, a plane or proper meshes in front of the player is probably the best way to go. It mostly depends on what type of game you’re making and what kind of thematic restraints you have.

Hey, thanks for answering, I thought I’d never get an answer! I’m not going to use a complete HUD, I just wanted to have a crosshair (it’s quite necessary for my project), but I didn’t want it to be affected by post-processing or anything like that. I guess I’ll have a plane in front of the player, but I’m not sure how to do that…

What sort of game are you making? I can think of a few other ways to do a crosshair with a Rift, but it largely depends on what you’re trying to do.

It’s a really simple game, I’m still learning how to use UE4. All you have to do is look at a target until it explodes. I need the crosshair because I have a trace that starts at the center of the screen (where the crosshair should be) and when the trace hits a target, its health starts depleting.