Place Object From Hand Into Highlighted Location in Virtual Reality

Hi all.

I am attempting to create a VR Survival Game, where are able to pick up an object and place it in a highlighted location in order to create a new model. The object would ideally snap into place.

Basically, if you player is holding a piece of wood, they are able to place the wood in a highlighted location and once 2 piece of wood are place, a fire pit is crafted.

I am relatively new to Unreal Engine and VR game design.

Please let me know if something is confusing, I’m having a hard time trying to put my idea into words.

Thanks!

You can have an actor that represents the log and another that represents the location where you want to place the log. The way I do it in mine is to have an actor for the place I want to place and object and use a dynamic material instance drive the regular material for the object and another holographic transparent one that illustrates you can place the item there.

When I collision overlap the object in hand with the actor representing where I want to place it, I show the where-to-place actor with the holographic material. When placed, I remove the held actor and set the where-to-place actor material to the normal version.