Project keeps re-compiling every time I open it.

I upgraded my project to 4.9 when it came out. Now every time I open the project, UE4 starts compiling 2000 shaders every single time I open my project. It’s becoming a pain to deal with. This didn’t happened before I upgraded from 4.8 to 4.9. I’m sure that it’s just a setting or material issue that I’m not looking at. What do I do?

Have you tried deleteing your /saved/ and /intermediate/ folders? (This will cause all shaders to be deleted and recompiled one time, but should only be once, let it finish then reopen ue4editor.exe)

Is it a BP only project?

Unfortunately, that did not fix the issue. I re-opened my project. It decided to re-compile all my shaders again. I noticed it’s just speedtree shaders that need to keep re-compile.
No, this is not a BP project. I don’t have any BP implemented yet.

Hi Oblivion2500 -

Does this occur on any converted 4.8 project for you, or just your one project? If it is just your one project, take a look at your INI files and compare them to a standard converted project (like 1st Person Template). There is probably a setting which is telling the engine to force recompile each time. Without seeing them it is hard for me to identify the actual variable causing the issue though.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

Maybe this post helps. It worked for me