Random freezes, requiring hard PC restart

Hi

I have used version 4.4.3 and 4.7(currently on 4.7) of UE4 and had the same issue on both versions. Whilst using any feature of UE4 (so clicking on a material to open the editor but mostly major processes such as rebuilding the lighting and compiling shaders) the software freezes my whole PC, I can not even load task manager thus my only option is to hard restart my desktop. This occurs randomly, sometimes I can build the lighting and most times it freezes. I work with a couple of others who run at different spec machines and they inform me that they have the same issue.

I am a keen developer and this issue significantly hinders the progress of my team and I. Is there a way to fix this at the present time? If not, what will be the turn around time for a fix? Will this be a permanent issue?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Demitri

I am having this same issue now in 4.8.1. One of the other guys in the office is working on the same project, same version 4.8.1 and doesn’t have this issue. The only information that I have found that would explain why I am having these issues and he isn’t is that I am using GTX 970 graphics cards, whereas he is using GTX 650 cards. I read here in the forums that UE4 is having issues running 900 series graphics cards.

I haven’t come up with anything that consistently crashes the editor, such as clicking on a material or anything. I simply open the editor and let it sit for about ten minutes and my computer freezes. I have updated everything, performed about every performance check I can think of, and nothing seems to be causing any other issues other than the editor. This is so irritating.

My last resort is going to be to reinstall the previous graphics cards I was using before I upgraded, but I would prefer a resolution to this issue as opposed to just a workaround (I would also hate to have wasted almost $900 on 2 new graphics cards only to have to go back to my old cards).

I see that Epic is taking their time in responding to your original post, so hopefully I can give this a little extra bump and get us a resolution