Unreal 5.4 crash/will not start "DerivedDataCache"

Unreal 5.4 crahes after 9% with this error.

Fatal error: [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Developer\DerivedDataCache\Private\DerivedDataBackends.cpp] [Line: 197]
Unable to use default cache graph ‘InstalledDerivedDataBackendGraph’ because there are no writable nodes available.

UnrealEditor_DerivedDataCache

Thanks a lot for your help.

hi @PolyGons67
You will need to delete the file

C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.4\Engine\DerivedDataCache

Compressed.ddp

This is corrupted and should be rebuilt on restart
If this does not use the “Verify” function to repair from the Epic Launcher
See the 5.4 Installer post
5.4 preview - Development / Getting Started & Setup - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. I followed your instructions - deleted the file and verify unfortunately it’s still crashing. Not sure if it matters but Unreal is install on my D drive.

This is my D: drive

You will need to create the new directories
D:\Program Files\Epic Games

Now you can install on D: drive

I re installed in the path you indicated me - deleted the file and use the verify option but i still have the same error :frowning:

1 Like

I have the same problem. If i compile the source code and run it, i get the same problem.
The compiler immediate window exits with :
2024.03.29-09.19.44:747][ 0]LogZenServiceInstance: Found existing instance running on port 8558 matching our settings, no actions needed
[2024.03.29-09.21.51:014][ 0]LogZenServiceInstance: Warning: Unable to reach Unreal Zen Storage Server HTTP service at [::1]:8558. Status: 0 . Response:
[2024.03.29-09.21.51:014][ 0]LogZenServiceInstance: Warning: Local ZenServer AutoLaunch initialization timed out waiting for service to become healthy
[2024.03.29-09.22.12:105][ 0]LogDerivedDataCache: Display: ZenLocal: Unable to reach ZenServer HTTP service at http://[::1]:8558/ with namespace ue.ddc. Status: 0 . Response:
[2024.03.29-09.22.12:106][ 0]LogDerivedDataCache: Display: ZenLocal: Readiness check failed. It will be deactivated until responsiveness improves. If this is consistent, consider disabling this cache store through the use of the ‘-ddc=NoZenLocalFallback’ or ‘-ddc=InstalledNoZenLocalFallback’ commandline arguments.
[2024.03.29-09.22.12:119][ 0]LogDerivedDataCache: …/…/…/Engine/DerivedDataCache: Speed tests took 0.01 seconds.
[2024.03.29-09.22.12:119][ 0]LogDerivedDataCache: Display: …/…/…/Engine/DerivedDataCache: Performance: Latency=0.05ms. RandomReadSpeed=1222.63MBs, RandomWriteSpeed=255.17MBs. Assigned SpeedClass ‘Local’
[2024.03.29-09.22.12:120][ 0]LogDerivedDataCache: Local: Using data cache path …/…/…/Engine/DerivedDataCache: DeleteOnly
[2024.03.29-09.22.12:120][ 0]LogDerivedDataCache: ZenShared: Disabled because Host is set to ‘None’
[2024.03.29-09.22.12:120][ 0]LogDerivedDataCache: Unable to find inner node ZenShared for hierarchy Root.
[2024.03.29-09.22.12:121][ 0]LogDerivedDataCache: Shared: Disabled because no path is configured.
[2024.03.29-09.22.12:121][ 0]LogDerivedDataCache: Unable to find inner node Shared for hierarchy Root.
[2024.03.29-09.22.12:121][ 0]LogDerivedDataCache: Cloud: Disabled because Host is set to ‘None’
[2024.03.29-09.22.12:121][ 0]LogDerivedDataCache: Unable to find inner node Cloud for hierarchy Root.
Fatal error: [File:D:\UnrealEngine-5.4\Engine\Source\Developer\DerivedDataCache\Private\DerivedDataBackends.cpp] [Line: 197]
Unable to use default cache graph ‘DerivedDataBackendGraph’ because there are no readable or writable nodes available.

call stack :

> [Inline Frame] UnrealEditor-Core.dll!UE::Logging::Private::BasicFatalLog::__l2::() Line 1088 C++
UnrealEditor-Core.dll!UE::Logging::Private::BasicFatalLog(const FLogCategoryBase & Category, const UE::Logging::Private::FStaticBasicLogRecord * Log, …) Line 1088 C++
UnrealEditor-DerivedDataCache.dll!UE::DerivedData::FDerivedDataBackendGraph::FDerivedDataBackendGraph() Line 203 C++
[Inline Frame] UnrealEditor-DerivedDataCache.dll!UE::DerivedData::FDerivedDataBackend::Create() Line 1119 C++
UnrealEditor-DerivedDataCache.dll!UE::DerivedData::Private::FDerivedDataCache::FDerivedDataCache() Line 572 C++
[Inline Frame] UnrealEditor-DerivedDataCache.dll!UE::DerivedData::Private::CreateCache(FDerivedDataCacheInterface * *) Line 1146 C++
UnrealEditor-DerivedDataCache.dll!UE::DerivedData::Private::FDerivedDataCacheModule::CreateCacheOnce() Line 42 C++
UnrealEditor-DerivedDataCache.dll!UE::DerivedData::GetCache() Line 109 C++
UnrealEditor.exe!FEngineLoop::PreInitPreStartupScreen(const wchar_t * CmdLine) Line 3295 C++
[Inline Frame] UnrealEditor.exe!FEngineLoop::PreInit(const wchar_t *) Line 4475 C++
[Inline Frame] UnrealEditor.exe!EnginePreInit(const wchar_t *) Line 41 C++
UnrealEditor.exe!GuardedMain(const wchar_t * CmdLine) Line 136 C++
UnrealEditor.exe!LaunchWindowsStartup(HINSTANCE__ * hInInstance, HINSTANCE__ * hPrevInstance, char * __formal, int nCmdShow, const wchar_t * CmdLine) Line 247 C++
UnrealEditor.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInInstance, HINSTANCE__ * hPrevInstance, char * pCmdLine, int nCmdShow) Line 298 C++

anybody understand this??

HI @Unreality ,
The source code is currently broken with several errors.
This is very common there is a note somewhere saying that this is a problem.
I expect you have pulled source at a transient time when ue5nain was broken.

If you want to try my unofficial version which works, just to test your system
UnrealEngine-5/README.md at LGPU54bin-patch · jimshalo10/UnrealEngine-5 (github.com)

The main quote from README is here

Additional Notes
The first time you start the editor from a fresh source build, you may experience long load times. The engine is optimizing content for your platform and storing it in the derived data cache.

Obviously my version does NOT have Zen Server enabled as its EXPERIMENTAL

Hi @Unreality
I posted a message earlier. For some reason in 5.4 Zen server is set Enabled
Turn off Unreal Zen server Enabled by default

If you do need Zen Server in 5.4 (PREVIEW) its broken

Hi, I have got it working without any problems. What worked for me? Disable Antivirus, System mechanic, VPN, Nvidia Omniverse… infact just about everything… Updated chipset and video drivers and it worked. Good luck

1 Like

Still not working for me

Hi! Not sure if this is the case for you, but I also had the same error. My issue was my microsoft username had accented letters in it and the file paths were broken (so like instead of C:Users/Flóra it showed up as C:Users/Fl?ra). I created a local user with a name that had no accented characters and it worked immediately on that. Not sure if it’s relevant to you, but I hope it helps!:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I build source code use rider ide is no problem, but use visual studio 2022, the situation is same with you.

“Verify” from the Epic Launcher and Upgrade Visual Studio 2022 to 17.9.6 is work for me!

1 Like

seems this problems is invoke by zen server, new tools with ue5.4, when unreal engine can not connet with zen server, will trigger this problems, so I found some reasome like that:
1、some network software like that vpn will block connection within unreal engine to zen sever
2、file directory can not access.

you can run ZenDashboard.exe in UE_5.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64 to check ze server stauts, if dashboard data is like this maybe this problems will solve.
Snipaste_2024-04-18_17-45-54

and zen server config you can browser below link to learn.

relative problmes link:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/unreal-5-4-crash-will-not-start-unreal-zen-storage-server-failed-to-launch/1765413/13