Unreal Engine 4.6.1 not recognising my visual studio ultimate 2012?

Hi all,

Please help, I’ve searched various topics about the installation dir in regedit and the environment variables but tried them and nothing.
It keeps saying “No compiler was found. In order to use a C++ template, you must first install Visual Studio 2013”.

Seriously?

Hey Jackl3 -

As of 4.6.1, we are phasing support for Visual Studio 2012 out, however for your problem I would suggest looking at your install directory path for Visual Studio and see if it is possible to remove any non-alphanumeric characters from the path (i.e. &, @, etc.) This is solved the non-recognized error in the past.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

Thank you for replying. I have checked my install path “F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe”
Any other suggestions?

Hi JackI3,

We have been planning on phasing out support for Visual Studio 2012 for some time, and with the upcoming version 4.7 it will be dropped completely. Version 4.6.1 should still allow for the use of Visual Studio 2012, but that integration is somewhat error prone. From 4.7 on, it will still be possible to create a VS 2012 project, but all compiling will be done using the VS 2013 compiler. That means that even if you are using VS 2012, you will still need to have VS 2013 installed.

If you do not have VS 2013 available, the new Community version is a free Professional version, with some additional restrictions. This is a bit of a step down from VS 2012 Ultimate, but we do know that Community works well with the Engine, with minimal issues having been reported so far.

With regards to the issue that you are experiencing with 4.6.1, are you currently using the Binary version of the Engine installed by the Launcher and seeing this message when you try to create a new code project?