What is"Map build Data Registry"?

Hi,every one. I’m just upgraded from 4.12 to 4.14.But i found a new file call “Map Build Data Registry” right beside every maps i have in my project.
So the question is:
1.what is it?
2.What dose it contains?
3.I use perforce as my source control,should i checkout/submit it as well?(but i found it still can be save even through it is been check out)

Thanks!

1 Like

Same here. Looks like this is something related to the new feature Lighting Scenario. This is really annoying. Also this “Build Data” a lot bigger than original lightmaps that was packed in levels.

Correcting something:when i check out my map and save, unreal also wants me to save (and check out) the relative Map build data registry.
So i think we should also submit the build data as well

i believe the answer for your question is here: 4.14 Preview | Feature Highlight | Unreal Engine - YouTube (around 20:40), but apparently in 4.14 the light data from the map now goes to a different file.

Thx!That’s what i need to know!

So is it safe to exclude that file from a GIT archive?

not sure if it’s safe or not, but if you delete it you probably would just need to rebuild lighting again after downloading it from git.

As of 4.15 I can confirm that you can safely delete/ignore it without corrupting your map, you’ll just need to rebuild the lighting. You’ll also get an error that pops up saying it couldn’t find the file at load until you do build the lighting.

I’m confused. I’ve deleted the file before and not had to rebuild the lighting for the map. According to the video, it’s there to allow you to switch between multiple lighting states but if you don’t have multiple lighting scenarios then why keep it and why is it turned on by default as it’s taking up a lot of space for no reason. Also if it were required for your level to be lit properly then any levels that you built in the previous engine version would need to be rebuilt in this one but they don’t as they all work fine without being rebuilt.

1 Like