Why is my project so large?

hello there,

since Im still not entirely sure when and how my code changes are applied, I constantly rebuild my solution from VS2013. The catch is, my project file is ridiculously huge for a 2d prototype. 2.5 GB for 25 sprites and 7 classes of text

im using development editor debug, and unreal 4.2

cheers, and thanks for any input

Hi ,

I just wanted to clarify a few things. First, are you choosing Build or Rebuild when you are building your project, and are you building the entire solution or just the project?

You also mentioned that you are using “development editor debug.” Did you mean the Development Editor Solution Configuration?

hi , thanks so much for responding !

I am using Rebuild, and building the entire solution.

Yes I meant Developer editor solution config !

Hi ,

Instead of Rebuild, try using Build. The Build option will only update any changes that you have made since the last time the solution was built (and you will see much shorter compile times as well!).

You can also try building only the project, which is what I typically do. This should also reduce your compile times, though you may not notice it if you are not making any changes to the source code.

Having said all of that, when I was doing some testing for this issue on Friday, I did notice that the size of the project did seem to be increasing slightly whenever I did a Rebuild. All I was doing was creating a new project from a code template and rebuilding it numerous times. I will try to find some time today to do some more testing for this, but I don’t think that slight size increase should be occurring.

You can also try using Clean, then Rebuild. That will get rid of any unnecessary parts of the solution that may not have been properly removed when you were using the Rebuild option. This will be a bit time consuming, so you will probably only want to do this once, and your results may vary depending on the project and how cluttered it has become (if at all).

Understood . Thank you for looking into this !

I will try what you suggest, and report back.

Hi ,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.

Thank you.

yes no problem. What you proposed actually made a difference, and I forgot to report back to here. Clean, Build actually dropped the folder size somewhat and it doesnt incrementally increase the folder size anymore !